
Escape to the U.P.! Days Inn Iron Mountain: Your Cozy MI Getaway Awaits!
Escape to the U.P.! Days Inn Iron Mountain: My Cozy MI Getaway…and A Few Quirks! (Review, Basically)
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because I'm about to spill the beans on the Days Inn in Iron Mountain, Michigan. You know, the one promising a "Cozy MI Getaway?" Well, I just got back, and let me tell you… it was a getaway alright. Let's break it down, shall we? (Warning: This might get a little… honest).
SEO & Metadata Stuff First (Ugh):
- Keywords: Days Inn Iron Mountain, Michigan, U.P. (Upper Peninsula), Iron Mountain Hotels, Cozy Getaway, Accessible Hotel, Free Wifi, Pool, Spa, Breakfast, Cleanliness, Safety, Family-Friendly, Hotel Review, MI Hotels, Travel Michigan.
- Meta Description: A candid review of the Days Inn in Iron Mountain, MI! Discover accessibility, amenities (pool, spa, breakfast), cleanliness, and my personal, messy experience. Is it truly a cozy U.P. escape? Find out!
(Okay, SEO demons appeased. Now, the REAL dirt…)
First Impressions & Accessibility (Important Stuff First!)
Finding the Days Inn was easy peasy (thank god, because GPS and I aren't always friends). The exterior? Standard Days Inn fare. Functional, not necessarily inspiring. My first thought? "Alright, let’s see if this lives up to the hype."
Accessibility: THIS is where things got interesting. The website touted "Facilities for Disabled Guests," and thankfully, they weren't lying! Wheelchair accessible was a big win for me, and the lobby and common areas were impressively navigable. Elevator? Check. Rooms? Well, I'll get to that. The ramp entry was a lifesaver, and it wasn't a death trap- steep incline. I give them a solid thumbs up on this. They really seemed to have considered it. However…. however… I didn't see any signage for a specific accessible route to the indoor pool. That was a bit of a bummer.
The Room – My Tiny Kingdom (and a Few Quirks!)
The non-smoking room (essential, since I can't stand the smell) was clean. I give them that. The air conditioning was a godsend because the U.P. gets surprisingly warm in the summer! It had the basics: **desk, chair, **bed (extra long bed, which was awesome!). The blackout curtains were a definite plus – I slept like a log (mostly). There was a refrigerator (thank you, sweet baby Jesus, for grocery store leftovers), coffee/tea maker, and free bottled water (nice touch).
Internet Access – The Great Wi-Fi Quest:
Okay, here's where the "cozy" started to unravel a bit. They promise Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!…which is true, BUT the signal? Let's just say I spent a good amount of time cursing my laptop. The Internet access - LAN option wasn’t even offered, which was frustrating. The Wi-Fi in public areas was marginally better but still not fantastic. Come on, Days Inn, it's the 21st century! Invest in some decent internet! I spent an hour wrestling with the Wi-Fi trying to upload some pictures (that I was able to download). Seriously, it was like trying to wrestle a small, infuriating digital gremlin.
Things to Do/Places to Relax – Spa Dreams (and Real-Life Realities)
The website promised a spa/sauna and a swimming pool [outdoor]. The pool with a view was a nice touch, but it was small. And the spa…. Let's just say I was picturing a luxurious steam room, but it felt a little…dated. Nothing wrong, but it could be better. It lacked this spa. I could go on.
Food, Glorious Food…and the Breakfast Battle:
Breakfast [buffet]: Yes, there was one. It was the standard fare: cereal, toast, maybe some sad-looking scrambled eggs. There was a breakfast service, and I was grateful for it. But I’ve had better, and I’ve had worse. It wasn’t exactly a culinary adventure. I went in for a second plate anyway. I guess I'm a "breakfast" kind of guy.
Dining: The hotel seemed to lack a full-blown restaurant, which was disappointing. They did have a coffee shop, though, and I grabbed a coffee. It was drinkable. I did notice there were no vegetarian restaurant options; that's something to consider. They did offer room service [24-hour] (which I didn't use), an advantage that you might value.
Cleanliness & Safety (A Big Win!)
Okay, this is where the Days Inn SHINED. Hand sanitizer everywhere? Check. Daily disinfection in common areas? Check. Rooms sanitized between stays? Absolutely. The staff seemed genuinely committed to keeping things clean and safe. I felt comfortable walking around, which is HUGE in this day and age. They had a fire extinguisher in the hall and seemed to know. A+ on Safety/security feature and Smoke alarms!
Services and Conveniences – The Good, the Bad, and the "Meh":
Cash withdrawal? Yes. Elevator? Yup. Laundry service? Yep. Concierge? Nope. The front desk folks were nice and helpful, but "concierge" is a stretch. They had the basics covered, but the extras were…well, lacking. There was a Convenience store—a little overpriced, but it was convenient. A Gift/souvenir shop? Nope. A Car park [free of charge]? Yes. Car park [on-site]? Yes. I didn't notice a Dry cleaning service, unfortunately (I was wearing clean clothes). Facilities for disabled guests were great.
For the Kids (and Families):
The hotel is definitely Family/child friendly, with Babysitting service and Kids meal, if needed. I was there kid-free, so I didn't experience any of this, but I saw families enjoying the pool.
Getting Around:
Car park [free of charge] was a HUGE plus. Car park [on-site] was also great. Not having to pay for parking is always a win in my book. They offer Airport transfer and Taxi service (I didn't need either).
The "Cozy MI Getaway" Verdict:
Alright, here's the honest truth: the Days Inn in Iron Mountain is a decent place to stay. It's clean, safe, and has the basics covered. The accessibility is excellent. The Wi-Fi is a nightmare. It's not the most glamorous hotel, nor is it a luxury experience. It isn't the "Cozy" experience, but it isn't the worst one. It's just OK. If you're looking for a budget-friendly, clean, and accessible place to crash while exploring the U.P., it's worth considering. Don't expect bells and whistles, but do expect a (mostly) good night's sleep.
Final Score: 3.5 out of 5 stars (and a strong recommendation for better Wi-Fi!)
Ida Grove Getaway: Unbeatable Deals at Super 8!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to embark on a whirlwind tour of… Iron Mountain, Michigan. And by whirlwind, I mean, well, hopefully, not entirely a hurricane of disappointment coming out of Days Inn. Okay, maybe I'm setting the bar low. Let's go!
Day 1: Arrival and the Search for the Holy Taco
- 2:00 PM: Landed in Iron Mountain. Okay, "landed" might be generous. More like, arrived. After a scenic (read: slightly boring) drive. Checked into the Days Inn. First impressions? Let's just say "rustic charm" is one way to put it. The air conditioning sounds like a disgruntled walrus gargling gravel. Fingers crossed it actually works.
- 2:30 PM: Unpacked. Found a rogue sock under the bed. Mystery sock, where do you even come from? My room has this… distinct aroma of, well, old motel. It's not bad. It's just… there.
- 3:00 PM: The Hunt for Lunch. I’m starving, and my travel buddy has this insistent craving for tacos. "The best tacos in the UP!", she declared with the kind of conviction usually reserved for religious revelations. So, let the Taco Quest begin. Google Maps, be my guide!
- 4:00 PM: Taco Fail #1 (or maybe #0, depending on how you see it). Pulled up to a cute little joint, only to discover it was closed. Sunday slump! I let out a sigh not unlike the walrus gargling gravel, but more dramatic.
- 4:00 - 6:00 PM: Drive around. A lot more driving around. We found a burger place. Closed. A pizza place? Closed.
- 6:00 PM: Taco Victory? Found a taco place! it wasn't great. It filled the hole, but not the yearning. "Well, that's Iron Mountain tacos for you!" my travel buddy said. I think she was right.
- 7:00 PM: Back to Days Inn. Dinner was in the room. The walrus-gargling-gravel AC is still going strong. Contemplating how to rate the experience. "Cozy" might be generous. "Functional" is probably accurate. "Slightly haunted" is also a possibility.
- 8:00 PM: We watched a bad movie on the TV.
Day 2: Chasing Waterfalls and Internal Monologue
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast. The Days Inn breakfast… well. Let's just say instant oatmeal is a choice. The coffee tastes like burnt sadness. I think I'll skip the free breakfast.
- 9:00 AM: Waterfall Time! The local park, which is supposed to be gorgeous. Apparently, the region has a lot of waterfalls. I could probably use a good waterfall!
- 9:30 AM: Waterfall #1: A good one! The water was nice, and I felt I could breathe better, but my travel buddy kept talking. It was amazing.
- 12:00 PM: Waterfall #2: This one was the best.
- 1:00 PM: Burger somewhere.
- 3:00 PM: Back at the hotel. I was tired!
- 8:00 PM: I tried to watch TV, but I fell asleep.
Day 3: Departure and Existential Reflections
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast, oatmeal again, I think.
- 9:00 AM: Packing. My room is a mess!
- 10:00 AM: I went shopping for some snacks.
- 11:00 AM: I checked out.
- 11:30 AM: Time to go.
Okay, so Iron Mountain wasn't precisely a soul-altering experience. Did I find the best tacos of my life? Nope. Did I become one with nature? Maybe, but the waterfall was nice. Would I go back? Probably not. But this is kind of it. Real life. The imperfections, the questionable breakfasts, the mystery socks. It's all part of the, you know, human experience. And hey, at least I have a story! And possibly a therapist appointment.
Unbelievable Bear Lodge Fairbanks: Your Alaskan Adventure Awaits!
Escape to the U.P.! Days Inn Iron Mountain: Your (Maybe Kinda) Cozy MI Getaway Awaits! - FAQs (and My Honest Thoughts!)
Alright, so... Iron Mountain? Seriously? Is there even anything *there*?
Is the Days Inn Iron Mountain actually... decent? Hotel reviews are always so... variable.
What's the deal with the "U.P."? What is it like? Because, honestly, I'm pretty clueless.
What is there to *do* in Iron Mountain and the surrounding area? I need suggestions, STAT!
Okay, you mentioned a "gem," tell me more about food places!
What's the Wi-Fi situation like at the Days Inn? Because you know, I need to stay connected...ish.
Anything else I should know before booking at the Days Inn Iron Mountain? Any hidden fees? Any REALLY annoying things?


Post a Comment for "Escape to the U.P.! Days Inn Iron Mountain: Your Cozy MI Getaway Awaits!"