
Unbelievable Cusco Views: Your Sonesta Hotel Adventure Awaits!
Unbelievable Cusco Views: My Sonesta Hotel Adventure – A Messy, Wonderful Memoir
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your average hotel review. Forget the sterile, bullet-pointed lists. This is a deep dive, a mental excavation of my stay at the Sonesta Hotel Cusco – warts and all, okay? Because, let's be honest, life's messy, and travel even more so.
First Impression: Altitude Adjustment and Aching Ankles
Right off the bat, let's address the elephant in the room: Cusco is HIGH. Like, really, REALLY high. The Sonesta, bless its heart, is no exception. Finding the place was easy enough (airport transfer was smooth, thankfully thanks to their Airport transfer), but that first step out of the car? Whoa. That altitude hit me hard. I’m talking breathless, lightheaded, like I’d just run a marathon. Getting my luggage to the room felt like scaling Everest. The Elevator was a lifesaver, though. Seriously, without that thing, I might still be gasping for air in the lobby.
Accessibility and Ease of Use? – A Mixed Bag, Honestly
Now, I walked around the place. Was it an easy place? Well, I, personally, can walk, but I saw access points. The Facilities for disabled guests were there, which is a huge plus. The Elevator helped, right? – but I did see a few narrow areas. Things seemed designed for able-bodied travelers. I wouldn't say it was the most Wheelchair accessible place I've been to, but it wasn't a disaster either. More work could be done here, to be absolutely frank.
Rooms: Safe Haven with Killer Views – and a Few Minor Quirks
The Non-smoking rooms (thank GOD), were key. My room was… nice. Really, really nice. The Air conditioning was a godsend for those rare, sweltering Cusco afternoons (mostly, it was just crisp and perfect). The Blackout curtains? Absolute genius. Crucial for battling the jet lag and altitude fatigue, plus the Bed itself was comfy enough that I’d almost forget the altitude.
And the View! Oh. My. God. The Window that opens was the kicker, letting in that crisp mountain air. I could almost touch the ancient rooftops! The High floor meant I didn't hear any street noises, plus kept the world quiet. The Complimentary tea and Free bottled water were delightful little touches, plus the Coffee/tea maker was my breakfast lifeline in the early mornings. They definitely thought of everything… well, Almost. The Laptop workspace was practical, the Desk made me feel like I was in my office, and the internet (which was free – Wi-Fi [free]) was amazing!
Now, the Bathroom was… functional. Shower was good, Toiletries were provided, of course. But, and here's my small gripe, but sometimes the hot water took an eternity to get going! Plus, the Bathroom phone? Seriously? Who uses those anymore? It felt like a relic from the Jurassic period. Oh, and my first day, the Mirror had a teeny, tiny crack in it. Minor, but I do love a perfectly unblemished reflection first thing in the morning.
Cleanliness and Safety: An Obsessive’s Delight (In a Good Way!)
Okay, I'm a bit of a germaphobe (don't judge!), so the Cleanliness and safety protocols were music to my ears. Seeing Hand sanitizer everywhere was reassuring. The Sonesta was on it! The Staff trained in safety protocol, the Daily disinfection in common areas, and the Rooms sanitized between stays all made me breathe a little easier. I even saw them using Anti-viral cleaning products on the regular! Safe dining setup was in place. Individually-wrapped food options were thoughtful. The Cashless payment service was great, too.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Culinary Journey – Mostly Successful
The Restaurants within the Sonesta are worth checking out. Restaurants are A la carte in restaurant, Buffet in restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Western cuisine in restaurant – All of these were great, the food was excellent. They also had a Poolside bar, for the perfect time on a sunny afternoon. I did get a small breakfast in the room, which was nice.
The Breakfast [buffet] was… interesting. It was good, with the standard Coffee/tea in restaurant, Western breakfast, Asian breakfast, even Salad in restaurant, options and a pretty decent Desserts in restaurant. There wasn’t much I didn’t like about my food.
The Room service [24-hour] was a lifesaver after a long day of exploring. One night, I ordered the soup, and it was the perfect comfort food.
Things to Do and Ways to Relax: Blissful Heights
Alright, time for the good stuff. Ways to relax are so important! The Swimming pool [outdoor] with the Pool with view was beautiful, if you're not bothered by the cold. I'm a wimp, so no swimming. The Spa was the real star. I got a Massage that was heaven, and I tried the Sauna. The Gym/fitness was there, and it was cool. And the Steamroom was delightful, the Body scrub was fantastic.
Services and Conveniences: A Helping Hand (or Two)
The Concierge was amazing, Daily housekeeping kept the room spotlessly clean. Luggage storage was great, and the Dry cleaning service came in handy after a few dusty hikes. I think there was a Gift/souvenir shop, though I didn't spend much time in it. Cash withdrawal was useful, and the Currency exchange was fairly priced. The Elevator helped, the place was good.
A Few Minor Mishaps and Quirky Observations
During my stay, the Alarm clock malfunctioned on my first day, waking me up at the crack of dawn. Minor, but a bit of a shock. And sometimes, communication was a little tricky with some of the staff, but nothing a little patience and a smile couldn't fix.
I tried the Laundry service, and my favorite shirt came back with a mysterious stain on it. Sigh. Not the end of the world, but still…
In Conclusion: Embrace the Altitude, Embrace the Sonesta (and Maybe Pack Extra Socks!)
Look, the Sonesta Cusco isn't perfect. No hotel is. But the good far outweighed the few minor annoyances. The View is, well, unbelievable. The staff (mostly) are lovely. The safety protocols are reassuring. And despite the altitude, the sheer beauty of Cusco, combined with the comfort and convenience of the Sonesta, made for an unforgettable experience.
Would I go back? Absolutely. Just… maybe I’ll bring some extra socks and learn some basic Spanish. And maybe, just maybe, I'll bring a small towel, just in case.
Asheville's Renaissance: Downtown Luxury You Won't Believe!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into a messy, glorious trip to the Sonesta Hotel Cusco. Forget perfectly polished itineraries, we're going for something real, something… lived.
Cusco & the Sonesta - My Brain's (Hopefully) Awesome Journey (Itinerary Subject to Change, Basically, I'm Winging It)
Day 1: Arrival & Altitude… and Sheer Panic
Morning (or what passes for morning after a red-eye): Landed in Cusco. Holy. Moly. The thin air hit me like a ton of bricks. I walked off the plane and immediately felt like I'd run a marathon. My lungs were screaming, my head throbbed, and all I could think was, "Did I seriously just blow all my vacation money to feel like a dying goldfish?"
Transportation: Pre-booked a transfer (thank GOD for foresight, even if it was fleeting). The driver, bless his soul, just knew. He drove slowly, gently, like he was afraid I'd spontaneously combust. The views of the Andes were breathtaking, even through my oxygen-starved haze.
Sonesta Hotel Cusco Check-In: Finally! The warm, welcoming lobby of the Sonesta was a sight for sore, altitude-addled eyes. Check-in was smooth, which was especially appreciated because I was pretty sure my brain wasn't working completely. The staff was incredibly kind and helpful, seemingly used to rescuing oxygen-deprived tourists from their own incompetence. They even brought coca tea while I was waiting for my room. Seriously, a lifesaver.
Afternoon: Room. Glorious, oxygen-rich room. I collapsed on the bed, utterly defeated by the altitude. Swallowed a couple of altitude sickness pills (praise the pharmaceutical gods), and forced myself to drink water. I really wanted to avoid dehydrating myself. I tried to unpack but quickly realized the effort involved was too much. I just wanted to nap, but I knew it was still early.
Early Evening: More coca tea. More water. Struggled to shower (it felt like a workout). I was contemplating skipping dinner entirely when hunger finally began to claw its way into my consciousness. I decided to venture out to the hotel restaurant, where I got one of the best meals of my life.
- Dinner: I was still feeling it from the altitude, but I took a chance at the hotel restaurant. This was one of my favorite moments. The atmosphere, food, and service were impeccable. Every bite transported me to a different place, both literally and figuratively. I decided to have all the traditional things. The trout was a revelation! Melt-in-your-mouth delicious, alongside the perfect cocktail. The waiter, a local with twinkling eyes, recommended a local wine. It was rich in flavor, something I don't experience in my daily life. I ate almost everything and I felt surprisingly ok. The dining room was comfortable and warm. I stayed there for a few hours and felt like I was recovering a bit of my strength. It was a perfect way to end my first day, though I would need plenty of rest.
Night: Passed out. Woke up at 3 AM with a pounding headache and a desperate need to pee. This altitude thing is a beast.
Day 2: Sacred Valley & the Art of Not Dying
- Morning: Breakfast at Sonesta. The buffet was fantastic, and I tried to load up on carbs and fluids (as the experts recommend). I took it at a slow pace.
- Transportation: Booked a day tour to the Sacred Valley. The van ride was… bumpy. The roads in Peru are not exactly smooth, let's just say that. But the views were spectacular. And the driver was a good driver.
- Tour Highlights (In no particular order, because my brain still hasn't quite recovered):
- Pisac: The Inca ruins were incredible, but I spent half the time just trying not to fall over. The views were stunning, but again, I'm pretty sure I was more focused on my ankles.
- Ollantaytambo: This fortress was epic. I managed to ascend a good portion of it, mainly because it was impossible to not try. The sheer engineering is mind-boggling, and I could see the history shining through every single stone. I was absolutely moved by their history and it gave me something to stand for on my trip.
- Market: Visited a local market. So many colors, smells, and things to buy! I bought a ridiculously elaborate alpaca sweater that I'm pretty sure I'll only wear once a year. But still.
- Afternoon: Back to the Sonesta! Altitude naps are non-negotiable. The hotel was a safe space. I actually slept for a good chunk of the day, which was amazing. But something still felt missing.
- Evening: I decided to go to the hotel's indoor pool. I had never been to an indoor pool before, but I made a good decision for myself. The water temperature was perfect, the atmosphere peaceful, and the stress of travel slowly dissolved with every dip. The feeling of weightlessness was surreal. I stayed until closing and left with a serene smile.
Day 3: Cusco City & the Quest for Coffee
- Morning: Finally feeling a little less like I'm living on Mars. More breakfast at the Sonesta; I'm basically a professional buffet connoisseur at this point.
- Transportation: Took a taxi into Cusco. Navigating the city streets felt like a full Contact sport.
- Cusco City Exploration (Slightly Chaotic):
- Plaza de Armas: The heart of Cusco. The architecture is beautiful. Took a million photos and then promptly got lost.
- Qorikancha (Temple of the Sun): Impressive Inca architecture mixed with Spanish colonial influence. The gold must have been INSANE, especially back then.
- San Blas: The artisan neighborhood. Wandered around. Got lost again. Found a quirky little café that served the best coffee I've had in YEARS. This was the moment I needed to feel ok. The coffee provided an instant boost, and I realized I could do anything.
- Afternoon: Needed oxygen. Seriously. Back at the Sonesta.
- Evening: Relaxed and drank more tea. Dinner at the Sonesta, this time. I was getting very comfortable in the hotel. I began to think of it as my home away from home.
Day 4: Departure (and the Promise of Returning)
- Morning: One last breakfast in Cusco. It's getting harder and harder to leave the hotel.
- Transportation: Back to the airport. Another bumpy ride, but this time, I felt a strange sense of peace.
- Departure: Saying goodbye to Cusco was bittersweet. The altitude beat me up, the streets were chaotic, and I got lost more times than I can count, but I loved it. I've already started planning my return.
Quirks, Imperfections, and Ramblings:
- Coca Tea Obsession: I may or may not have drunk enough coca tea to single-handedly keep the local economy afloat. I'm not ashamed.
- The Altitude Battle: I thought I was prepared for the altitude, but I was so very, very wrong. It's humbling.
- Lost in Translation: My Spanish is abysmal. Fortunately, I was able to communicate with universal gestures, wild flailing, and the sheer force of my will.
- Sonesta Love: The Sonesta Cusco became my sanctuary. It was my safe space. The staff was the kind of people who know how to make you feel like you belong, no matter how clumsy or disoriented you might be.
- The Food: Beyond fantastic. I need to learn how to cook Peruvian food.
- Emotional Takeaway: This trip was messy and beautiful. It challenged me, wore me down, and then lifted me up. I fell in love with Cusco, even with all its quirks, and I'm already planning my next adventure.
Final Note: This is just a rough outline, folks. Things changed. Plans fell apart. I got hopelessly lost. And it was all perfect. Don't be afraid to embrace the chaos!
It’s the humanity of it all!
Newark Airport Hotel: Unbeatable Deals & Luxury Await!
Unbelievable Cusco Views: Your Sonesta Hotel Adventure Awaits! - (Or, My Brain on Altitude and Alpaca Sweaters)
Okay, so, "Unbelievable Cusco Views?" Seriously? Is it all just...mountains?
Is the altitude sickness thing a *real* deal? Don't tell me it's just in your head.
What's the deal with the Sonesta's breakfast? Is it worth getting out of bed for?
Do you recommend any tours? Like, should I wander around on my own, or what's the play here?
What about the hotel itself? Any downsides? (Because let's be real, nothing's perfect).
Okay, you mentioned Machu Picchu. Did you go? Spill the tea!
Should *I* stay at the Sonesta Cusco, then? Be honest!


Post a Comment for "Unbelievable Cusco Views: Your Sonesta Hotel Adventure Awaits!"