
Vilelmine Crete: Greece's Hidden Paradise You NEED to See!
Vilelmine Crete: Greece's Hidden Paradise You NEED to See… Maybe. (A Seriously Honest Review)
Alright, folks, buckle up, because I just got back from Vilelmine Crete, and lemme tell you, it's a place alright. Before I dive in, let's be clear: this ain't a sponsored post. This is me, your average travel-obsessed human, spilling the tea (or, you know, the raki – more on that later).
SEO & Metadata (because apparently, that's important):
- Keywords: Vilelmine Crete, Crete, Greece, Hotel Review, Spa, Beach, Luxury, Accessible Hotel, Family-Friendly, Restaurants, WiFi, Pool, Things to Do, Crete Hotels, Travel Review, Greek Islands
- Meta Description: Unfiltered review of Vilelmine Crete! Accessibility, food, spa, and ALL the quirks. Is it paradise? Maybe. Read on and find out!
Accessibility: Navigating the Greek Gods (and Some Stairs)
Okay, so, the brochure promised seamless accessibility. And honestly? It's… mostly true. Let's be real, Greece isn't exactly known for its flat, wheelchair-friendly terrain. Vilelmine has made an effort, though. The main areas, like the lobby and a good chunk of the restaurants, are pretty darn accessible. Elevators? Yep, they exist. The "Facilities for disabled guests" are listed, which is a huge plus, but be prepared for some rogue cobblestones on the way to certain hidden coves, which were a bit tricky (and, frankly, I'm not in a wheelchair but I was struggling at times!), so plan accordingly and bring your sturdiest shoes/chair wheels. The "Exterior corridor" situation was hit or miss.
On-site accessible restaurants / lounges seemed to have at least some accessibility, including the elevator to the top floor restaurant, though it was a bit of a tight space for my wheelchair. (More on the food later… it's a story.)
Wheelchair accessible: Not 100% Perfect, but a valiant effort and definitely better than some other places.
Internet: WiFi, WiFi Everywhere (Thank Zeus!)
Listen, in this day and age, being disconnected is a nightmare. Vilelmine gets this. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! and Wi-Fi in public areas! Praise the gods! The Speed was decent (I needed to upload a video and it took about 20 minutes, which wasn't bad at all) and mostly reliable, especially in the rooms. Internet Access – LAN was available, which is a nice touch if you prefer a wired connection (I didn't bother). Internet services were standard, nothing flashy, but hey, it worked!
Things to Do: From Lounging to Levity
Here's where Vilelmine really shines. It's a place where you can truly do nothing… or everything!
Ways to relax: This is their bread and butter, and they do it well.
Body scrub, Body wrap, Massage: All the things I needed! The spa is a haven - and I needed it after some of the adventures I had, though it got kinda overwhelming with their offerings.
Spa/sauna, Steamroom, and the amazing Pool with a View: Oh, this pool! perched overlooking the Agean, it was literally the image of relaxation. You can swim while gazing at the Sea.
Fitness center, Gym/fitness: I'm not much of a gym person, but I peeked in. It was well-equipped, if a little… sterile. (Maybe I'm too used to the chaotic charm of Greek life?)
Swimming pool [outdoor]: Amazing!
Cleanliness and Safety: Hygiene Heroes (Mostly)
Okay, let's address the elephant in the room: COVID concerns. Vilelmine has clearly taken this seriously.
Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment: All present and accounted for. Honestly, I felt safe.
Rooms sanitized between stays: Mine sure seemed to be.
Rooms sanitized between stays: Definitely, but I did have to call housekeeping once because I noticed dust on a bedside table.
Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit: Good to know they're there, just in case!
And, I would be remiss not to mention: Hot water linen and laundry washing. The sheets! Ah, bliss…
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Feast for the Senses (and Sometimes the Stomach)
Food is a huge part of the Greek experience, and Vilelmine offers… well, a lot.
A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant: They have it all, folks. Seriously.
The Breakfast [buffet] was… overwhelming. A full spread of pastries, cold cuts, fruits, cheeses… it was a carb coma waiting to happen. The "International cuisine" at the main restaurant was hit-or-miss, but the Asian Cuisine was actually quite great!
The Poolside Bar, and Restaurants, were the perfect spots to catch the sunset with a cocktail.
The Raft in the Sea: An Anecdote
One day, I was enjoying a drink at the Poolside Bar. Suddenly, my phone slipped out of my hand and fell into the sea! I saw it floating right to the edge of the shore after a while. It was really far, though, and out of reach. I looked around, confused. A waiter came over and just gave me a look of "wait here"…and then: he jumped into the sea! He swam all the way to my phone, picked it up, and waded back, soaking wet and laughing, handing me the phone!
It was so… Greek! The carefree, the absurd, the willingness to help without a second thought. It was the best service I've ever received.
Services and Conveniences: Perks and Potholes
Vilelmine has a lot going for it, service-wise.
Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center: You name it, they have it.
Daily housekeeping always brought fresh towels, which was a godsend (especially after the sea phone incident).
Luggage storage was a lifesaver.
The Concierge was amazing, helping me navigate the local transportation (taxis are the way to go, especially up steep hills!).
For the Kids: Fun for the Fam?
Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal: They definitely cater to families. I saw plenty of kids having a blast in the pools and at the activities.
Access, CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Check-in/out [express], Check-in/out [private], Couple's room, Exterior corridor, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Hotel chain, Non-smoking rooms, Pets allowed unavailablePets allowed, Proposal spot, Room decorations, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Soundproof rooms: They are well equipped.
Getting Around: Navigating Paradise (and Those Crazy Roads)
Airport transfer: Necessary and efficient.
Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking: Definitely bring your own car if you have driving experience, or use a taxi.
Available in all rooms: There are a lot of room perks.
**Available in all rooms: Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-
Carmel's Hidden Gem: Wayside Inn's Unforgettable Charm (CA)
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into…well, MY version of Crete. Forget those picture-perfect brochures. This is gonna be real. And by real, I mean probably involving a sunburn, a questionable kebab, and me questioning all my life choices in the shadow of the Samaria Gorge. Let's do this:
Crete, Baby! (Mostly Heraklion & Hersonissos)
(Because I’m a terrible planner, we’re operating on a loose “suggestion” of a schedule. Expect delays, detours, and me forgetting to charge my phone. Enjoy the ride!)
Day 1: Arrival…and Instant Regret (Heraklion)
- Morning (aka, 6 am wake-up call from jet lag): Land at Heraklion Airport. Dear God, it's hot. And I'm wearing three layers because I packed for Iceland apparently. Grab my rental car (a tiny, terrifying Fiat… which I've already named "The Terror" because, let's be honest, I'm not a confident driver, especially on the wrong side of the road).
- The Terror's maiden voyage: Driving to Heraklion town. I'll be honest, navigating the car rental exit from the airport was a true test of my patience. And there were more scooters darting around me than sanity allows.
- Afternoon: Knossos – or, the Temple of Tourist Sweat: Alright, history! Supposedly the site of the legendary Minoan Palace. It IS impressive. But… it's also packed. And the sun is relentless. I was feeling pretty good, got some great photos, but then I got slightly turned around, and the next thing I knew I was following a gaggle of overly enthusiastic teenagers who kept doing selfies in front of everything. I just muttered about how I needed to go to the bathroom and managed to wander off on my own. I saw some amazing things, but honestly? I really just wanted an iced coffee. A good iced coffee.
- Evening: Heraklion Harbor & Taverna Trauma: Wander the harbor. It’s pretty, I suppose. But honestly, the heat is making me grumpy. I try to have a romantic dinner at a taverna overlooking the sea. The food was okay, but I’m fairly certain I was seated next to a group of excessively loud British tourists who seemed convinced everyone in the restaurant wanted to hear their every anecdote. After a very average bottle of wine and a very poor attempt at conversation, I call it a night. My spirit is already slightly broken.
Day 2: Hersonissos Shenanigans (and the Search for Deliciousness)
- Morning: The Road to Recovery (Hersonissos): Drive The Terror to Hersonissos. The drive is scenic, but also nerve wracking. I am quickly getting over driving. But the view! The view is stunning, and I manage to survive to my hotel, and I'm already dreaming of a good beach.
- Afternoon (aka, Beach Day, Attempt Number One): Find a beach. Any beach. Doesn't matter. I need to lie horizontal and absorb some vitamin D. It's glorious…until I realize I forgot to put on enough sunscreen and look like a lobster. Cue the internal screaming. Then, I went for a swim in the crystal clear water and promptly lost my sunglasses. I spent a good thirty minutes underwater, flailing around like a confused walrus. Beach Life: A Rollercoaster of Emotions So, there I was, thinking I'd finally nailed the whole vacation thing. Sun, sand, the rhythmic crashing of waves. It was idyllic. Then, the sun… well, it turned on me. I am a fair-skinned individual with a history of forgetting sunscreen. Let me tell you, a sunburn is not a pretty picture. In fact, as I sat there, sizzling, I realized that it wasn't just a cosmetic issue. It was a fundamental shift in my mood. The joy of the beach was gone, replaced by a throbbing, fiery awareness of my own mortality. Okay, maybe that's a tad dramatic but I swear, I felt like a barbecued pig! I managed to snag a shady spot under a very generous palm tree. That provided some relief, but did it take away the burn? NO!
- Evening: A Kebab Catastrophe & Karaoke Crisis: Head into Hersonissos town. I'm starving. I end up at a kebab shop. I order. It's greasy. I eat it anyway. I then stumble upon a karaoke bar. Thinking I look cute, I go in. I had a couple of (too many) drinks and decide to sing. Let's just say my rendition of "Sweet Caroline" did not exactly bring the house down. In fact, I think I cleared the room. I might have cried a little on the way back to the hotel.
Day 3: Samaria Gorge… Or The Tale of My Twisted Ankle
- Morning: This is the day I was supposed to hike the Samaria Gorge. Supposed to. But after last night, and the very vocal protest of my aching feet, I'm changing plans. I am NOT hiking the Samaria Gorge.
A Day of Misadventures I am not a hiker. I could be a hiker, given the right amount of time, motivation, and probably a personal trainer. But I did not have those things. So, I was planning on doing the Samaria Gorge because it's… well, it's famous. But after a night of karaoke, bad decisions, and a kebab incident, everything changes. The thought of a long hike fills me with dread. My feet are screaming. My mental state is questionable. So, I decide on an alternate route. A little day trip to Crete's Lassithi Plateau. - Afternoon : Lassithi Plateau… and Some Goofy Windmills: Drive to the Lassithi Plateau. It's supposed to be beautiful, with windmills. It IS beautiful, with windmills! But the hairpin turns on the way up nearly gave me a panic attack. And I am not a fan of heights!
- Evening : Local Food and Early Retirement: Back to Hersonissos for a relaxed dinner. I find a small family-run taverna. The food is AMAZING. I'm talking melt-in-your-mouth lamb, perfectly roasted vegetables, the works. I'm so relaxed that I start making plans to move to Greece and open a taverna myself. The dream!
Day 4: The Final Day of Terror (and Finding Peace)
- Morning: Seaside Stroll and Emotional Reflection: Wake up at my hotel, and go down for a coffee, and take a stroll along the beach and actually listen to the waves. It's peaceful, finally. I reflect on my trip so far. This vacation was a rollercoaster of emotions.
- Afternoon: Final Souvenir Hunt and Goodbye to The Terror: Head to a shop and buy a few souvenirs. I decide I need to buy a bottle of olive oil. I decide to return the Terror Fiat. The entire process is stressful and I am so, so glad to be done.
- Evening: Farewell Feast (and Slight Melancholy): One last fantastic meal. I'm already sad to be leaving. A final sunset over the Cretan Sea. And I promise myself I'll come back… maybe with a little more planning, and a lot more sunscreen.
Final Thoughts:
Crete, you've been a trip. A messy, wonderful, slightly sunburned trip. I've stumbled, I've laughed, I've probably embarrassed myself a few times. But hey, that's life, right? And the food? The views? The sheer, raw beauty of this island? Totally worth the karaoke trauma. Until next time, Crete! (And maybe I'll actually learn to drive a scooter…)
Escape to Comfort: Your Columbia, SC La Quinta Inn Awaits!
Vilelmine Crete: FAQs - The REAL Deal
Alright, listen up, because this isn't some sanitized travel brochure. We're talking about Vilelmine, Crete. And yeah, it's a hidden paradise... Kinda. Let's get some questions answered before you go and completely ruin your camera roll with generic sunset shots.
Is Vilelmine REALLY as beautiful as the Instagram photos?
Okay, let's be real. Instagram? Filter galore, baby! Vilelmine is stunning, no doubt. The turquoise water laps at these little coves, the mountains…they're impressive. BUT, and this is a BIG but, those photos often conveniently omit the slightly wonky roads, the occasional stray cat that decides your balcony is its personal sunbathing spot, and the fact that sometimes, the "perfect" beach has more pebbles than sand.
Case in point: I went with friends to try taking a picture, you know, *the* iconic cove shot. We're all standing there, carefully posed like we're in a perfume ad, wind's picking up, and BAM! A rogue wave soaks my friend's brand-new linen pants. The picture? Ruined. The memory? Priceless. So, yes, it's beautiful, but don't go expecting a perfectly manicured Disney-fied version of paradise. Embrace the imperfections!
What's the best time to visit Vilelmine?
Ah, the eternal question! This depends on your tolerance for crowds and scorching heat. July and August? Gorgeous weather, but you'll be sharing the beach with… well, EVERYONE. Plus, good luck finding a parking spot. Seriously, it's a contact sport at this time.
I’d say late May/early June or September/October are your sweet spots. Still plenty of sunshine, the sea's warm enough for swimming, and the crowds are significantly thinner. Think of it like this: less people to awkwardly photobomb your attempts at looking effortlessly cool.
How do I get to Vilelmine? Is it hard?
Getting to Vilelmine isn't a walk in the park (or on the beach, as you might be hoping!). You'll likely fly into Heraklion (HER) Airport, which is the closest airport. From there, you'll need to rent a car, take a bus, or get a taxi. **Rent a car, you absolute madmen!**.
The roads, my friends, are part of the adventure. Sometimes, you'll swear Google Maps is playing a cruel joke on you, leading you down a goat track that's barely wide enough for a bicycle. And the drivers? Let's just say they have a certain… *enthusiasm*. Embracing the chaos is key. It's part of the fun; a reminder that you're experiencing something *real*.
What is there to do besides sit on a beach? (Because, let’s face it, I get bored)
Okay, beach bum, I hear you. While Vilelmine is all about the relaxation, there are other things to do when you reach your boredom threshold. You can hike in the nearby mountains! Seriously, the views are breathtaking and you might actually see a mountain goat. Who doesn't love a mountain goat?
The area is rich in History! A historic sight or archeological dig, is not far from the village. you can explore the local area if you are up for it. If you are lucky enough to be in the village During the seasonal festivals it will be a night to remember.
What about the food? Is it any good? (Because, you know, that's crucial)
Oh, the food. Where do I even begin? The food in Vilelmine is a straight-up religious experience. Forget your diet. Forget counting calories. You're in Crete; embrace the olive oil, the fresh seafood, the incredible local wines.
My advice? Find the taverna that looks more "lived-in" and less "Instagram-ready." The ones where the owner yells greetings in Greek (even if you don't understand a word). Ask them what's fresh that day. Order the *tzatziki* (yogurt, cucumber, garlic – pure heaven), the *souvlaki* (grilled meat skewers), and whatever fish they recommend. Seriously, just do it. You won’t regret it.
I'll never forget the one time I went to a taverna. The octopus! The best was grilled fresh for me. The owner shared a glass of his homemade raki with me. It was so strong my ears almost started ringing, but it was the best day ever.
What should I pack?
Okay, packing list. Get this right, people! Swimsuit (obviously). Sunscreen. Hat. Sunglasses. A good book (for those beach days when you actually want to read). Comfortable shoes for walking. A reusable water bottle. And here's a pro-tip: pack a small, cheap, foldable shopping bag. You can use it for groceries, souvenirs, or to carry the random treasures you find along the way.
Also, DON'T overpack. Seriously, you'll be wearing a swimsuit 90% of the time. And *do* pack some light layers. Evenings can get cool, especially near the coast. And if you're anything like me, pack a portable charger. Because running out of phone battery while trying to capture the perfect sunset pic? Tragic.
Anything else I should know before I go?
Embrace the chaos. Be prepared to get lost. Talk to the locals, even if you don't speak Greek. They're incredibly friendly. Learn a few basic phrases ( "Efharisto" - thank you - is your friend). And be open to the experience. Vilelmine isn't a perfectly packaged tourist trap. It's raw, real, and utterly enchanting.
Oh, and one more thing: Don’t be afraid to try the raki. Just…pace yourself. You've been warned. Prepare for a life-changing trip and enjoy it to the fullest. After all, you're going to Greece!


Post a Comment for "Vilelmine Crete: Greece's Hidden Paradise You NEED to See!"